Friday, October 2, 2009

Interview With An Actor

Teen Portal Writer Alison interviews Wakefield actor Irene as part of our “Express Yourself” series

When and why did you start acting?
I started when I was eight through the Educational Theater Company because they were holding a summer program at my school, which is part of the Immersion program, about Shakespeare in Spanish.

What is your favorite play or acting part and why?
My favorite production that I was ever in would be “Eve of Destruction” by Joe Calarco, directed by Marcia Gardner through the Signature in the Schools program. It had a really great group of people who were all more experienced than me, so the whole thing was a learning experience, not only from the director and the professional actor, but also from my fellow actors.

Who is your favorite actor or actress and why?
I don’t have one. I don’t follow actors in movies. The only actor I can really think of is Andrew Long, who works with the Shakespeare Theater a lot.

To what level will you continue acting?
Until I stop getting roles. I intend to continue professionally but I am very cognizant that not many people make it in the world of theater.

How has being an actor changed you or your life?
I think that people view their education through the lens of what they want to do. For me, that’s theater. I think it’s affected every aspect of my life. When I practice viola, it gives me a grounding for singing and voice control. When I walk down the street, I look at the way people walk because someday I’m going to have to imitate that. I think that if you’re passionate about something, it should permeate all parts of your life.

Watch Irene: